Hallo everyone last Sunday, 23th July 2017 AgriTalk was talking about achievement Indonesia’s agriculture. We talking about the achievement and the reason why indonesia can achieve that. We was talking this at our line group (Iaas Indonesia) and twitter (@IaasIndonesia). And this below is things we talked about.
About one week ago we got good news from Indonesian agricultural sector because The Barrie Center for Food and Nutrition (BCFN) Foundation on Food Sustainability Index (FSI) places the Indonesian agricultural sector in the world’s top 25. FSI Research is composed of 58 indicators and includes four aspects, namely overall , sustainable agriculture, food loss and waste and nutritional challenges .All of you can check on http://foodsustainability.eiu.com/country-ranking/ to see more details about the percentation.
Overall, Indonesia was ranked 21st with a score of 50.77 after Brazil. Indonesia is located on the top of the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and India. For sustainable agriculture, Indonesia is ranked 16 (score 53.87) after Argentina. This makes Indonesia’s ranking was above China, Ethiopia, the United States, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and India. In this category, Indonesia got a high score on the availability of abundant water resources, the low environmental impact of agriculture on biodiversity of the land, the environment, the productivity of land, and climate change mitigation.
Meanwhile, from the aspect of food loss and waste, Indonesia stands at 24 with a score ratings 32.53. Indonesia are enclosed in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. On this aspect of Indonesia including in the category are currently in an attempt to resolve the problem of losing food (food loss). Further aspects of nutritional challeges, Indonesia entered a rating of 18 (score 56.79) after Brazil and is on top of Turkey, Russia, Egypt, Mexico, South Africa, Nigeria and India. Indonesia was seen in this category were able to overcome the problem of micronutrient deficiency, the prevalence of nutrient excess, undernourished, excess sugar, as well as being able to buy fresh food.
Right now we want give information to all of you about any factor who make our agricultural sector got the world’s top 25. Here it is
Nationally, the availability of water in Indonesia reaches 694 billion cubic meters per year. And about 80 percent is to irrigation.
Indonesia has a large potential of land availability and has not been utilized optimally. Data from an academic study conducted by the Directorate General of Land and Water Management of the Ministry of Agriculture in 2006 shows that the total land area of Indonesia is 192 million ha, divided into 123 million ha (64.6 percent) is the cultivation area and the remaining 67 million ha (35.4 percent) is a protected area. Of the total area of cultivation, which has the potential to cover 101 million ha of agricultural land, includes 25.6 million ha of wetlands, dry season of 25.3 million ha of crops and annual dry crops of 50.9 million ha. Until now, from the potential area for agriculture, which has been cultivated into an agricultural area of 47 million ha, so there are still 54 million ha that have potential for expansion of agricultural.
Indonesia has the potential of natural resources, including germplasm, which is abundant (mega biodiversity). Biodiversity onshore Indonesia is the second largest in the world after Brazil, whereas if it includes marine biodiversity then Indonesia is the largest number one in the world. This can be seen by the various types of agricultural commodities of food crops, horticulture, plantations and livestock that has long been cultivated as a source of food and income society. Biodiversity is supported by the geographical distribution of low and high, the abundance of sunshine and the intensity of rainfall that is almost uniform throughout the year in some areas, and the diversity of soil types allows the cultivation of various types of tropical native plants and livestock, as well as introducing commodities From sub tropical areas evenly throughout the year in Indonesia.
What to do to keep this success ?
Photography by Pertanianku.com